5.8.10

the hits just keep on comin'.













Sorry for all the posts, too much going on in the kitchen. Got a couple of recipes left over that need documenting, they're below.

So, the biggest downside of my diet so far is the lack of sweetness. I don't eat a ton of sweets normally, but when I quit drinking and smoking for more than a couple days I notice an immediate and powerful need to take a walk down to the dessert end of the street. You know, just to see what's up.

Today I bought some stevia, no idea what we'll do with it yet. First impressions: sweet, yes, but there's something strange about which taste buds are recognizing it. Haven't researched this yet.

+++

tuna, beet, kohlrabi, apple vinegar, tarragon.

2 110-gram cans Spanish tuna, drained (150 grams tuna)
1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
1 cup kohlrabi, peeled and cubed small
1 cup beet, roasted, peeled, cubed small
1 to 2 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
freshly ground black pepper














+++

arugula and almond pesto.

1 cup almonds, roasted or possibly smoked
4 cups arugula
1/3 cup EVOO
1 large clove garlic
juice of one lemon
salt
pepper

+++

2 comments:

Klary Koopmans said...

I made a arugula and walnut pesto yesterday that I did not like. Reading this, I think it probably needed lemon or some other acid.

MEM said...

Yes, the lemon is pretty critical, especially since I'm not using any cheese. I also made it to go with some grilled zucchini, which also had lemon in it...

With the walnuts, did you get rid of the skins? I find that to be the number one factor influencing my enjoyment of something really walnut-centric...