6.8.10

p!nk sauce.














Wanted to make some food for a boat ride today, a boat ride that may not actually happen now due to inclement weather. The food, however, is already made, and it's all pink. Not on purpose, but the intersection of my diet and the raw materials in my refrigerator led me unblinkingly down a path to pinkness. Or maybe it's Gay Pride Weekend sneaking its way into our food. The hazelnut/horseradish bit came from an idea on the BBC website, no idea why that works.

EDIT: It happened, which was nice! But I forgot my memory card for my camera. Not nice! So I could only take 6 pictures, none of which were any good. Although this picture makes it look like Mila and Jeroen are seriously concerned about something happening in the back of the boat, which I like. And there you have it.

This mackerel recipe was extremely well-received, served on melba toasts. Of course you could use any smoked fish here, but mackerel would be my first choice. I just used mackerel filets from the Dirk.

+++

smoked mackerel, beet, apple, horseradish, hazelnut.

2 smallish smoked mackerel filets, shredded with forks (or really, i guess anything: bullets, chinese stars, whatever you've got around the house to shred with)
1 beet, roasted, peeled, and cubed small
1 granny smith apple, cubed small
1 scallion, chopped fine
juice of one lemon
a few drops of apple vinegar
1 tbsp hazelnut oil, or more to taste (I used the oil from a jar of hazelnut butter, so YMMV)
up to 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
black pepper
tiny, tiny pinch of thyme (not sure this was detectable)
salt to taste

+++

No comments: