3.8.10

phlug.















I have got to find a more appetizing way to eat this flaxseed. It's just nasty.

The thing about being an accomplished cook (if I do say so myself), and being lucky enough to be surrounded by similarly accomplished friends, is that you almost never have to force yourself to eat something. It's a feeling I remember from somewhere deep in my youth, possibly my dear old Nan's liver and onions, but nonetheless, I can pretty clearly recall a precedent somewhere for this feeling of having no interest in chewing and swallowing what's in your mouth.

So here's the situation. It needs to be ground, and I need to eat it at 10pm, and it can't be accompanied by any carbs. In fact, it needs to be the main caloric component. The amount is 2 tbsp. Please send help.

EDIT: I've been soaking the seeds in hot water and szhooming them up. this is supposed to make them more digestible. But I have a feeling it's making them way more gross as well. Most normal people don't do this: they just grind them fresh and mix them dry with their oatmeal, cereal, bake muffins with it, etc. I am not eating grains. You see the problem.

+++

9 comments:

Klary Koopmans said...

mix it with buttermilk?

MEM said...

mmm, sorry, no dairy. still has to fit in with the rest of my diet. no meat, no grains, no sugar, no dairy. Fish, fruit, nuts, vegetables are our options.

MEM said...

Oil is another option, but flaxseed has plenty of its own oil, so not necessary...

MEM said...

One night I shzoomed it up with a handful of blueberries. That wasn't bad. But it wasn't good either.

Last night I tried pistachios and currants. Again, better, but not good.

MEM said...

I wonder if diksap is a good idea. concentrated tartness seems like it would be welcome.

MEM said...

Wow, look at all the attention this post is getting! Geweldig.

I'm also thinking of unsweetened almond milk. As a component. Of whatever I try next.

Stu said...

Not sure what the fuck you are trying to do to yourself over there, but according to the packaging on our Trader Joe’s Golden Roasted Flax Seed – Whole Seeds, “Roasting the flax seeds reduces the natural moisture level in the seeds, resulting 8-10% more fiber, Omega-3’s and protein than regular flax. It also enhances the flavor…” I can attest to that last part. It becomes vaguely reminiscent of sesame (I said vaguely), but try treating it as such – we regularly add to a tossed salad with some sort of vinaigrette or you could put some on that smoked salmon, grapefruit thing you posted recently – in fact I was thinking of making that tonight (if a I get a grapefruit) so if I do, I will give it a shot – or go asian: ginger, scallions, bok choy, fish sauce, garlic, peanuts, string beans, maybe a little pineapple, tamarind or mango since no sugar – or an asianesque slaw (although I thought I saw a no cabbage statement somewhere)…. good luck with that. now I have to get my bacon, tomato, gruyere (no flax) on fresh baguette out of the sandwich press.

and yes you can increase your official readership count to 9

MEM said...

Dude, welcome and thank you, you are truly the sleepy peepy and it is awesome to see your gorgeous text in this window.

But: a man don't got to go flaunting his bacon sandwich eatin shit in front of a flaxseed eatin joe like myself, now does he? Does he, I ask you???

Those are some good ideas, yep. I need to toast these bitches and see if I get any happier.

Let me know if you make that salmon, yo. OXOXOXOXOX! Stu, ladies and gentlemens!

MEM said...

My final word on the subject: a little hazelnut butter and salt makes the mixture nearly palatable.