15.6.10

sugar kane.














Well, shit. Longtime Reader and Even Longertime Mother Pitts has been diagnosed with diabetes. That's all the info I have at the moment, but it's enough to get me thinking about how to help. And the first way that popped into my (freshly-awoken-by-a-soon-to-be-taking-part-in-a-Feline-Discipline-Experiment-cat) mind was to figure out what she should be eating. And then try to make sure it's as delicious as possible.

But in looking at the subject for a bit, I discovered that not many people agree on exactly what a diabetic diet is, other than: low fat, low carb, low sugar, high fiber, and eating small but regular meals. Well, this just looks like any sane person's recommended diet, doesn't it. Nonetheless, we shall forge ahead in focusing on some recipes that fall into this extremely general category.

I believe this will overlap nicely with my own current attempt to shed a few pounds, as well as my determination to use our rooftop grill more than once this summer. One of the problems with grilling here is that the technology here is all very different than where I come from. Different charcoal (better in some ways, usually hardwood lump charcoal, not briquettes), different lighter fluid, etc.

Not that charcoal-lighting has ever been the strong point of my technique. In fact, lighting European charcoal is probably my number one impediment to rooftop grilling. I should really find a charcoal chimney (UPDATE: I just found one here, but it looks like it takes up to 4 weeks to deliver. Here's one for twice the price [though it is a Weber] that shows up tomorrow).

OK, more substance here in a bit. Until then, peep on this: fennel ice cream. I'm imagining it with caramelized pears. For autumn. When I'll be eating sugar again.

+++

No comments: