10.8.11

classic swedish cinema.



This post is in progress. Since I've known I was coming here, I had great plans to fill in the gap that is my knowledge of Swedish cinema. It's a gap that's a trifle odd, considering the number of movies I've seen that would be filed in the "Scandinavian" section at Silver Screen...but I guess these were all Danish and Norwegian.

So yesterday, since the weather here has been pretty uniformly autumnal (you probably can't use this word this way, can you), we started in on a mental list of "must-see Swedish films", a list of course tailored to my own tastes, and one that started with En kärlekshistoria (1970), but contained a lot of other things which I am already forgetting, so here is where I am writing them down.

A Swedish Love Story was very good: wistful, wry, and with a fantastically detailed attention to sound...I'd watch it again today.

+++


  1. Through a Glass Darkly (Såsom i en spegel).
  2. Songs from the Second Floor (Swedish: Sånger från andra våningen).
  3. My Life as a Dog (Mitt liv som hund).
  4. Everlasting Moments (Maria Larssons Eviga Ögonblick).
  5. The Hunters (Jägarna).
  6. Fanny and Alexander (Fanny och Alexander).
  7. Jalla! Jalla!
  8. Kopps (Cops). OK, this I've already seen, but need to see again, it was very funny.
  9. The Simple-Minded Murder (Den Enfaldige Mördaren).
  10. Show Me Love (Fucking Åmål). Seen this too, but am ready to see it again.
  11. The Adventures of Picasso (Picasso's Äventyr).
  12. All Things Fair (Lust och fägring stor).
  13. I Am Curious (Yellow) (Jag är nyfiken – gul).
+++

    2 comments:

    steph said...

    Does My Life as a Dog not count as a classic?

    MEM said...

    hey steph, it sure does, it was on the list but somehow with all of my furious cutting and pasting it got vaporized, thanks for pointing it out...