14.9.12

404.

















I'm in the ATL. Above: the standard welcoming antipasti at Tomanek Assisted Living & Bar and Grill. Below: it's Durians Weekend starting today, and I am the cook for the first night. I roasted yet another pork shoulder (Boston butt they call it here) and split it into poblano chile pork and ancho chile pork, to be served with corn tortillas, red onions, pico de gallo, maybe pineapple-serrano salsa, etc etc etc. The pork took about 5 hours at 325F, longer than I'd planned, so Dennis and I were smashing garlic and squeezing limes from 22:30 to 23:30 last night.

They're both super-simple recipes, the red is just six or eight whole pureed anchos plus guajillo and chipotle powders; the green is four fire-roasted poblanos, a can of tomatillos, and a handful of chopped pickled jalapenos. Plus an onion and half a head of garlic each. They both use the same seasoning from the shoulder I did in Phoenix (cumin, oregano, cinnamon, clove, black pepper). The red has an extra pinch of cinnamon; the green has a touch of honey and lime.


No comments: