1.11.09

mo hanh, please.












This photo is a perfect encapsulation of my last Sunday in Phoenix: NFL on the TV, scallion oil being made as an experimental turkey condiment for dinner, and a USB cable off to the right representing Technology Day here at the homestead.

+++

The scallion oil is inspired first by David Chang's Thanksgiving leftovers bit for Food and Wine, and secondly, by Scimmieland's Vietnamese dinner from a couple weeks back. Chang doesn't cook his scallions, while the traditional Vietnamese mo hanh that Mara made does fry them for a few seconds.

I'm undecided. The simple, traditional recipe is what I tried first, and it seemed good, but not amazing. My normal tendency would be to upgrade to the Chang version, but instead, I'm going to just salt the mo hanh as is and see how it works. Eh, no. Actually I Chang-ed it and it's more to my taste.

+++

No comments: