10.1.11

what the phở.























Goddamn, I had no idea that the phrase "faux phở" had swept the internets this year. 12 million hits. Not that it matters, I'm just surprised I missed it, being the faux foodie that I am.

Why are we talking about it? Because I made some this morning and was getting ready to wittily title this post you-know-what and then Googled it, and yes. I guess basically everything you need to know about it is here at Viet World Kitchen, my go-to source for all things faux-Vietnamese.

So this is definitely not phở (daikon and carrots are present, and no beef), it's some kind of "phở-spiced vegetable soup", but I HATE recipes called things like that. This, whatever the @*&^$ (how fun! I never pretend to swear!) it was, thrown together out of things that needed to be used up and various almost-right condiments, wasn't bad at all.

+++

faux phở.

daikon
carrots
onion
ginger
3 liters water?
1 tbsp goose fat (only fat I had)
1/2 tsp hoisin sauce (to replace the star anise i didn't have)
1/4 tsp ground cloves (sub for the whole cloves i didn't have)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (etc)
4 tbsp fish sauce
salt to taste

mint
scallions
coriander
limes
sriracha

+++

No comments: