21.5.10

jerkin' the gherkin.













Righto. Weather holding steady at Beautiful. We're having dinner with the Andy tonight, jerk salmon and other stuff.

Our jerk is coming out of a bottle tonight, Walkerswood picked up during my Brixton visit last month. I used to make my own jerk seasoning, but then we received an industrial-sized canister of it from somewhere (possibly my dad's company) and it lasted for like five years.

By the time it was gone, I no longer remembered how to brew up my own jerk blend, and my first time trying it again was a bit of a failure.

So this is how we end up using bottled jerk. I make a couple notes here for future iterations. Also? Inadvertent canned mango taste test revealed that Dole is far superior to Del Monte. Just so you know.

Lastly, these exciting-looking tomatoes were purchased from the Dirk yesterday. I made a kind of salsa/relish/pickle out of them, kind of the typical Surinamese pickle I do.













+++

minimal-effort jerked anything.

2 tbsp ginger syrup from the bakgember jar
4 tbsp Walkerswood jerk seasoning
2 scallions, chopped fine
1 tsp grated ginger
2 tbsp peanut oil
500-750gr protein of some sort

+++

mango ketchup.

flesh of one mango
1 onion
1 tsp peanut oil
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp good habanero sauce
1 tsp mustard
juice of 3 limes
salt and black pepper to taste

Saute onion until soft, add garlic for a minute or so, don't burn it. Add everything else except the lime juice and mustard and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

+++

cucumber remoulade.

+++

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup diced cucumber
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 tsp mustard
2 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

+++

2 comments:

Lannie said...

Ok, next time I'm shopping at Dirk. Love that assortment of tomatoes! Saw a Jamie Oliver episode once where he threw the same 'tomato mix' in to a salad, and put another 'tomato mix' into a pork roast dish. Always wanted to try it myself...

MEM said...

hi lannie...
don't get your hopes too high...the tomatoes were only at my dirk for about 8 hours...i went back the next day to get more and they were gone.

that said, dirk seems to be trying to get more interesting produce in the stores...we'll see what happens.