21.9.09

you are(n't) getting very sleepy.













Not relevant at this very moment, but by the time it is, it'll be too late to ask you: does anyone out there among the three of you A) go to sleep listening to podcasts, and if so B) can you recommend some? Lately when I can't sleep this is working OK for me.

To clarify: I'm not really looking for something completely enjoyable. I'm looking for something to put me to sleep. It has to be smart enough so as not to offend my critical sensibilities, long enough to where it won't end just as I'm falling asleep, aurally low-key enough so as not to startle (so, no monotone voices cutting to squally or squeally transitional music), and it must avoid the subjects of money, eternity, politics, religion, love, and family. Any suggestions? I'm all ears.

+++

On Sunday I made this Surinamese chicken soup again, with a couple of modifications: no lemongrass and no galangal, and green plantains instead of the potatoes. Then, the next day, I added two tablespoons of chunky peanut butter and the same amount of roasted coconut water and reheated it. A thoroughly good variation, approaching the taste of authentic pindasoep.

+++

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This American Life?

MEM said...

hey mht712, thanks for the suggestion, but This American Life is way too emotionally engaging to be relaxing. For example, I just checked iTunes to see what the latest episode is about, and the first story is about people trying to bring family members back from the dead using a bull.

This would break at least two of my pre-bedtime rules: no thinking about death and no thinking about family.

MEM said...

Bulls, however? Fine.

Zora said...

RadioLab! I totally recommend listening while wide awake, but I think it might be the right timbre to doze off too. It's very soothingly edited, and Robert Krulwich has a great voice. Then you might have excellent science-y dreams too...

MEM said...

That's a bit weird: I was going to use RadioLab as the one example of a podcast that is working well for me. Totally soothingly edited, you're right. I still can't even make it through the first episode I downloaded, about tonal languages like Mandarin and their connection to singing.

OK, so...great minds obviously think alike. Any more like RadioLab?

Zora said...

Alas, no idea. I'm zoning out, half-absorbing a RadioLab right now. Impressive, seeing how it's about parasites, which are usually so ghastly gripping.

Oh, wait: Splendid Table? That's the other one I listen to. It's a little perkier, and the woman has maybe disastrous laugh for sleeping.

(Ew. Just tuned in to hear the phrase, "Ohmygod, ohmygoodness, it can crawl!")

MEM said...

Once again, right on. The other podcast that I've been listening to, besides RadioLab, the podcast that I started with, is the Splendid Table.

And, you're right, it's not ideal for sleeping, Ms. Kasper's voice is a bit all over the place in terms of dynamics. I usually hope that I fall asleep before Jane and Michael Stern have finished their bit, but it never happens. If I am not asleep by the time she gets to the call-in portion, then that usually does it, but not always.

Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions...the next podcast I might try is this Zora O'Neill character, apparently she does audio podcasts of cooking...

Zora said...

Oh my god--Cooking in Real Time will _totally_ put you to sleep! Unless the absurdly amateur sound quality grates too much.

See how bad I am at self-promotion? I forgot I even had a podcast!