15.9.09

time, travel.













At this moment I am doing something I am pretty sure I've never done before: computing outside. I know, I know, I always had problems with this concept myself in the past, but A) everyone else is doing it, and B) I need to take care of some things online and don't feel like going back up to the attic...it's almost sunny today. Oh, and C) tiny_a has a screen that's actually visible outside. Go tiny_a!

I think my devil-may-care attitude is a result of my shit-may-suck morning. It all started when I left the house. I thought my first task was simple: find an electronics store, so I could buy a memory card, so I could take pictures of all the fun things I was going to do today.

This proved not to be the case. I could not find a single place that sold useful small electronic things. Or even useless electronic things. During that task I stopped for a refreshing non-alcoholic bottled beverage. Surprisingly, the cap was not a twist-off, and in the process of trying to open it without a bottle opener, I cut my hand badly enough to require the stealing of a napkin from an outdoor table to staunch the flow of blood.

Bleeding and lost, I soldiered on, walking in search of the more commercialized areas of town, which meant that I was purposely wandering around in the least-interesting sections of the city...no recipe for mood-lifting, this.

+++

So, ehm....three hours later, still no memory card, but in the interest of improving my mood, I have just eaten a wienerschnitzel the size of my head. Well, OK, nothing's that big, but...it was large (though flat). To further improve my mood I will now go to the Holocaust memorial and then see some of the ol' Berlin Wall. Since I'm here and everything.

And later, things might get really exciting: I'm going to hang out in the Potsdammer Platz metro station and see if I can record their floor-cleaning machine. I heard it the other night at about 23:30 and I really couldn't believe someone wasn't playing music. But then the dude cleaning the floor drove his machine into an elevator and the music stopped. And when he came out again upstairs the music started again. So, yes. I'm the dude in the subway with the device that looks like a bomb (my sampler). Wish me luck!

+++

By the way, the place I had my schnitzel at is called Schwarzwaldstuben. Isn't that great? My waitress and I hated each other, but everyone else there was nice. It serves Swabian food, more on this later.

No comments: