2.9.09

kaya.













Booooooooo. I'm sick with some kind of terrible sinus thing that hurts and itches, and Mara is not far behind I think. At least the weather is rainy and colder, which makes feeling shitty much easier.

Above is a jar of Malaysian crack (also called coconut jam, but it's more like a translucent coconut custard) I bought on Tuesday at Dun Yong. The ingredients are eggs, coconut milk, and sugar, and that's exactly what it tastes like. As I understand it, it's a common breakfast item in Malaysia, spread on buttered toast. Mara prefers to just transfer it directly into her chomper via an index finger. You should get some.

+++

I need a soup recipe...I'm sick, as I may have mentioned. My refrigerator contains carrots and cauliflower. Maybe an onion. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: I ended up making a Surinamese chicken soup, which ended up being exactly what I was in the mood for. I include the recipe for myself, it's unlikely that anyone outside of the Netherlands or Suriname could find the secret ingredients.

+++

surinamese kippensoep.

1 chicken
3 liters of water
1 bag of soepgroenten
5 allspice berries
2 bay leaves
1 tsp ground laos (galangal)
1 tsp ground sereh (lemongrass)
5 cloves garlic
2 carrots
4 new potatoes
2 tbsp Surinamese or Javanese mango chutney (which is nothing like Major Grey's...)

Combine, simmer for 3 hours, remove chicken, allspice, and bay leaves. Shred chicken and add it back to the soup if you want...I didn't, saved it for something else. Salt to taste.

+++

1 comment:

Zora said...

Booyakasha! That stuff looks fantastic...and I feel like I was just reading about it or something. Or it was just there, in the primordial part of my brain, waiting...

No soup tips, unfortunately. Feel better.