22.9.08

t’long mee la ngor skor.












I accidentally made some Cambodian-ish food today. As you may recall, I'm devoting as little time as possible to cooking this week, so I'm looking for things that I can just throw in the oven and forget about, with a minimum of prep. 

The first step in this process is to assess the "on-hand inventory" as QuickBooks would say. There was a bag of defrosted catfish that definitely needed to move on to the next step in its evolution. And during one of my recent Avondmarkt visits, I picked up a can of yucca because it was....anyone? Yis, it was on sale. 

So, I picked up the Googlephone and called 411, they pointed me at some yucca recipes, and one of the first non-Cuban ones was a Khmer recipe featuring yucca, sesame, coconut, and sugar. OK, since we know that fish and root vegetables can go together, and my catfish comes from Vietnam, basically right next door to Cambodia. So I put my catfish and yucca in a baking dish, sprinkle with sesame oil and, near the end, coconut and palm sugar (later on I felt really experimental and added a squirt or two of lime juice...also good). 

And what do you know? About 572 million times better than my chicken leg disaster from the other night. Interesting while being comforting. Hmm. I guess Cambodia does Rock

+++

No comments: