23.7.13

lìfè ốf thè mìnd.























In tribute to the heat, I watched Barton Fink last night, good stuff.

+++

Mara and I both have our chompers dialed in for Vietnamese food, so that's what we're going to cook for a day or two, though I'm not sure exactly what that means: at the moment I only know about five or so Vietnamese things: phở; gỏi cuốn (basil rolls); caramel catfish; bánh mì, and chả giò (fried spring rolls). And of course nước chấm, or "anything sauce" because it's good on anything. Six. And bánh xèo. Seven.

Still, it's not much. So we turn to mister Internet for some inspiration. 

+++

LATER: Shit, man...home run for me. If you've ever liked som tam, this is essentially it but easier. My adaptation is based on this. I also made Caramel Ginger Chicken, based on this, also very good but the below slaw is exactly what I was in the mood for. I think you could even add some properly-fried tofu to this and by the next day it would be quite good if breath-mauling picnic food.

+++

goi bap cai (spicy cabbage salad).

1 or 2 green or red Holland chiles, or serrano chiles, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tbsp sugar
1 pinch salt
2 to 3 tbsp Thai fish sauce
5 to 6 tbsp rice vinegar

5 or 6 cups shredded Napa or Chinese cabbage (spitskool will do nicely)
1 large carrot, peeled and finely shredded (I bought mine pre-shredded cause I'm a little bitch)
2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped fresh cilantro and/or mint leaves
1/2 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped

+++

No comments: