26.5.11

sweet.

















While I was licking my plate at breakfast this morning, I realized that chutney and crème fraîche should really end up in my mouth together more often.

Why was I licking my plate. A better question might be: why was I even using a plate. This is not standard breakfast procedure around here. Well, this protocol breach occurred because I made those smoked sweet potato pancakes (actually much more like latkes than pancakes) I mentioned a few weeks ago, and the platelicking occurred b/c, all respect to the Hilly, I think mine were even better. Like crazily good.

I didn't really change the recipe, just some quantity adjustments, so it must've been the ingredients. It did not hurt one bit that these were served with not only crème fraîche but a spicy plum chutney from De Avondmarkt that added some complex cumin-related support. Both condiments were essential to the awesomeness, but, wow, yes: these are Thoroughly Repeatable, and should probably definitely be deployed at your or my next vegetarian meal, and also as soon as possible.

UPDATE: One time, in the absence of creme fraiche and pimenton, I used lime-spiked Greek yogurt and smoky Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, respectively...worked pretty fine.

+++

sweet potato latkes with pimentón.

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
4 scallions, finely chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp smoked paprika (I used pimentón agridulce, moderately hot)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup peanut oil, for frying

+++

Basically fry for 2 minutes per side. This probably serves 4.

2 comments:

Klary Koopmans said...

aaaahhhh. this is the kind of food that makes me want to rush back to amsterdam and have dinner at your house. i miss those flavors.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.