15.2.10

return of the living dead.













Or, just me, which is horrifying enough. Happy that my time in sick bay was limited to two days on the couch and that my nose is once again useful as a breathing apparatus.

During my convalescence, I ate nothing but incendiary, flat-out spicy-ass Asian food, hoping to chile pepper my sinuses into submission. Starting with that kimchi jigae, the next step was ma po tofu, and somewhere in there some leftover Surinamese thing which I'll elaborate on in a minute. All of this punctuated by short bursts from my sriracha gun...sriracha on toast with butter, etc. It was the only thing that made me feel any better. Ah, endorphins...

The Surinamese thing. Pictured above, it doesn't look like much, but it's something I've talked about before, basically a can of Morjon sardines plus some other stuff and some green beans, simmered for 30 minutes and served over bulgur or rice or quinoa. It's different every time I make it, but it's always been surprisingly great (and cheap!). Truss me.

+++

mark's surinamese sardine + green bean thing.

200 gr green beans, trimmed
1 big oval can Morjon sardines in tomato sauce
1 healthy tbsp Javanese sambal (a shortcut for adding shrimp paste, palm sugar, and habanero)
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated or processed
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

1 cup bulgur
2 cup water
1 tsp sambal, possibly the same sambal you used above, possibly not
1 tbsp ketjap manis
2 tbsp butter or equivalent

+++

No comments: