15.7.08

wild turkey, wild turkey.

















Last night I made some perfect pork tenderloin, and so here I am finally documenting my pork rub proportions.

Then, today, I uncharacteristically did something useful with my leftover black beans from last night...I made chili. But not just any chili: turkey confit chili. More later.



+++

my afro-cuban pork rub.

+++

2 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground black peppercorns
1 tbsp ground coriander

1 tbsp chile molido
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp Spanish paprika
1/2 cup orange juice

Toast the first 3, combine them with the rest, and rub.
Also, I made a perfect quick pickle with cukes, allspice, cloves, sugar, and red wine vinegar.

+++

2 comments:

Klary Koopmans said...

questions: what's chile molido, and: how did you cook the pork tenderloin (and I'm assuming this was 'varkenshaas' but correct me if I'm wrong!)

MEM said...

Yeah, sorry no pictures...
It was varkenshaas, yes.
So you put the rub on the pork and let it marinate overnight in the fridge.
Take it out a couple of hours before cooking, put your broiler on high (maybe this is your "grill"?) and cook for 8 minutes per side. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes.

These cooking times result in pork that is pink inside, medium-rare to medium.

Chile molido is ground Anaheim or New Mexican chile, so...pure, mild chile powder, about the same strength as ancho, pasilla, etc.