24.1.06

returnimator ii: ha kao soup.

2005-06 holidays are proving tenacious, I can't seem to return to action. Mostly, I'se just been real biddy. And since the parentals left after xmas, I haven't really done too much crafty cooking, it's mostly been serious comfort food: Roughly 86% of January dinners have involved soup, and 75% (not statistically accurate) of those have revolved around an initially improvised and totally inauthentic and non-vegetarian ha kauw soup (ha kauw being a european spelling of ha kao I imagine, which are chinese shrimp dumplings): saute equal measures finely chopped leeks, scallions, red bell pepper, onion, and perhaps a fresh green bean or two in a tbsp or two of light sesame oil for a couple minutes until nicely browned, and then add equal parts chicken broth and clam broth (maybe a half-cup or so of each) until you've got enough broth to cover your sauteed vegetables plus eight shrimp dumplings (ha kauw). Bring to a simmer, add dumplings and a handful of bean sprouts. Let simmer while you mince as many fresh chives as you can stand, a good handful is where our tolerance is. When the dumplings are cooked through, 7-10 minutes, add the minced chives and serve. I've made it five times in the last two weeks. I'm certain you could add chiles, garlic, and/or ginger to spice it up, but we've been enjoying this version's simple, straightforward mellowness very much, a bit like an additive-free won ton soup minus the pork element. Plus shrimp dumplings! It's also good with a drop of truffle oil on top (for extra mystery!), TOTALLY turning this into a wanky fusion recipe, but....what can I say.

Anyway, since we're "moving house" over the next couple weeks, new posts will be few and far betwixt, but I'll see what I can do.

No comments: