5.7.09

independence day.












Are you as surprised as I am about all these posts? I'm really just killing time until this jetlag thing is over.

+++

As you may have seen, I didn't cook very much when I was in Atlanta, I mostly just ate fair-to-middling BBQ (I just didn't have the time, opportunity, or convenient transportation to get anywhere good!). In fact, I done gained me a few pounds. So now it's back to cooking, and back to a bit of restraint.

Pickles are good for restraint, I find. And they also address my current fixation on all things Southern. Something I wanted to make in Atlanta and never got around to it was Watermelon Rind Pickles. I shall commence pickling directly.

Vegetarianism is also good for restraint (how could it not be?). I do love tempeh, but only fried. I need to find a good recipe for baking it. Are you it?

As an aside: nothing restraint-related about this, but I saw a Colombian presentation for grilled chicken today, marinated in coffee and coconut milk. Interesting. This recipe may be a good place to start, though it's currently missing the coconut milk.

Also not very restraint-oriented, but not thoroughly decadent: I think I will need to finally make some Brunswick Stew before too long. I ate it just about every time it was on the menu this vacation (which was often), and I only had one real clunker: DBA's was not to my taste. I don't mind some lima beans in my stew, but theirs were bit on the mealy side. And potatoes? That's a no-no for me.

Not remotely restraint-related: buttermilk biscuits. Here's another recipe.

Someone is totally out of control: me. Maybe I should just eat breakfast.

OK, I will, but here's a good looking slaw-ish recipe.

Shopping list for today: salmon, arugula, avocados, beets, mustard, watermelon, feta, soy milk, tempeh, tofu, eggs, parmesan.

+++





















Stumbled across a flyer for a show I went to in 1991. The Reivers were great that night, I don't even know if I knew that they were going to break up five shows later. I think I may have known. The thing I remember most about that show is drinking too many Mickey's Big Mouths and semi-making out with a V89 DJ who had never shown any interest in me before. I think she was only doing it to piss off my dear friend Jen who I was there with, which I'm pretty sure worked. I remember being mostly surprised about everything.

+++

No comments: