1.7.09

tomanek test kitchens.













One of my favorite things about this family is that there's always something alluring going on in the kitchen. Tonight 4 people were making 4 separate dinners, this is one of them in progress (not mine, though I did get a bite): grilled cheese sandwiches with bacon, American cheese, mayo, and (of course) tomatoes from the garden.

Here's the finished product, in much lower lighting, with pepperoncini. Dennis likes a little char on his 'wich:













+++

Right now we are racing to outrun this year's tomato crop. Jeanie has 12 plants in the backyard, and thanks to this season's rain, they are in Overachievement Mode.






















Thus, every meal for the last week has contained tomatoes in some form or another, but we are quickly running out of ideas. I mean, a freshly-cut garden tomato is a beautiful thing all by itself, but...variety, spice of life, etc. We just can't use any more salsa. I can't even eat any more salsa, and I can eat a lot of salsa. Marinara sauce is the emergency backup plan, but it's too hot for anyone to really be interested in marinara sauce.

There are 16 large tomatoes in the basket at the moment, and we haven't even picked in a couple of days. So I'm getting ready to try oven-drying some tomatoes for the first time.

UPDATE: After drizzling them with salt, pepper, and olive oil and roasting them at 175F for eight hours, we had some nice tomatoes. Smaller is better, I think cherry tomato halves are the perfect form factor.

+++

Another of my favorite things about this kitchen is that you can always rely on there being a chunk of Parmesan the size of your fist in the fridge. Usually bigger, in fact, but my fists are unusually large this week (it's that time of the month).

No comments: